Monday, August 25, 2014

I don't want to do anything I feel sick. -The 24 year long battle

My entire life I have been sick or in pain in some way or another.  When I was around 4 my pediatrician told my mom I was "allergic to stress." Stomach cramps, nausea,  indigestion,  head aches,  sore throats,  stuffy noses, ear infections,  tonsillitis, hives; constantly just one right after the other. So I missed a lot of school,  my mom was accused of neglect,  I was forced to eat everything served at school by the staff, even though the food made me sick to my stomach and sometimes even light headed.  As I got older the blame was placed on me. I was just a "picky eater," or I'd be accused of having an eating disorder. I'd go to the doctor and tell them,  "everything hurts,  my back,  my hips,  my stomach,  I always have a sore throat, I always feel sick. " I was called a hypochondriac,  bulimic, needy. I was told I had growing pains,  seasonal allergies,  asthma,  a dry throat.  I was told my symptoms were psychological,  I was sick because I wanted to be sick,  I was lazy. The list goes on and on and on.  I was accused of being a drug addict,  anorexic,  psychotic,  and it never stopped.  For 24, almost 25 years of my life I was sick and no one believed me because why would they?  They couldn't feel what I was feeling.  The doctors I saw were too busy to listen, too busy to care.  So many doctors,  so many,  and no one,  not once,  did any of them ever consider I may be having allergic reactions to just about everything.  My friends and family always joked, "oh you're just allergic to everything" not knowing what was really going on.  Well I am relieved to say that I finally found a doctor that listened. 
The first time I asked for my stomach to be checked out (around 2010 sonoma) I was told it was pointless and  my insurance wouldn't cover something like that.  The second time (trinity 2012) I was told (with no proper testing might I add) that I have lymes disease (not true) the third time (humboldt 2014) something amazing happened.  (New doctor,  new clinic) my doctor asked me about my symptoms, she wrote them down, she listened.  For the first time in my life I had a doctor that actually wanted to know what was wrong with me.  We discussed an allergy test, I had 36 vials of my blood drawn and sent to a lab.  Two weeks later I met with my doctor again,  we discussed the medication I was on,  etc, then it was time for my results.  She pulled out a bookworth of paper and told me,  " In my 28 years of being a doctor,  not one have I ever came across someone quite like you.  The results are dizzying."  For an hour we discussed my results in detail,  she explained what everything meant, and then she told me she was referring me to a nutritionist and an allergist. 
These were my results:
Things I am severely allergic to:
Mushrooms
Yeast
Wheat
Dust mites
Corn
Whey
Cucumber
Bananas
Barley
Beef
Coffee
Gluten
Oats
Onions
Rice
Rye
Sesame seeds
Strawberries
Things I am highly allergic to:
Shrimp
Pork
Oranges
Apples
Lettuce
Lobster
Crab
Egg
Avocado
Broccoli
Carrots
Things I am moderately allergic to:
Almonds
Sweet potatoes
Potatoes
Garlic
Cabbage
Cashews
Cheese
Codfish
Celery
Peas
Peanuts
Soy
Walnuts
Things I am not allergic to but may cause reaction eventually:
Turkey
Tuna
Salmon
pistachios
Things I am not allergic to:
Chocolate
And these are only what I was tested for.  They will be doing more tests to see exactly what I can eat. 
Right now I'm very cautiously eating one type of food a day to monitor reactions.
Today I made myself chickpea brownies and had a bit of Turkey bacon.  I am slowly recovering from my allergies and for the first time in 24 years I woke up with no sinus problems or stomach cramps.  I am going to ask my readers for only positive feedback on this post, please.  I could really use the support.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! <3.