Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Keeley the Kale Monster (Cheezy Kale chip recipe)

My son has a new favorite snack: 
They are delicious, and my mouth waters just thinking about eating them, but the problem is the price. Let's face it, buying vegan stuff can be expensive and we're on a budget. So I sought out to find a recipe that would make three times as much product for the price of one tiny little bag. Oh man are there a lot of recipes out there! I sort of followed this one  but after going through my cupboards I realized I'd have to wing it. Kale was on sale, $0.39/ bunch,  (Must remember to grab more) sunflower seeds in bulk section were like $0.79/lb, bell pepper was $1, canned tomatoes $1.05, nutritional yeast (have 5lbs at home already), 

Cheezy kale chips :

Ingredients:
1 bunch curly kale
1 cup sunflower seeds (soaked for a couple hours)
1/2 red bell pepper, deseeded
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 cup nutritional yeast 
1 tbsp soy sauce or brags
1 tbsp curry powder
1 dash of cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt 
Garlic salt (optional) to sprinkle on top after mixing

  1. Preheat oven to 225°  (if using a dehydrator: Dehydrate at 115° until completely crispy)
  2. Strain sunflower seeds
  3. Tear kale into bite size chunks, omitting the large middle stems, rinse and blot dry, set aside.
  4. Combine sunflower seeds, bell peppers, tomatoes, lime juice, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, curry powder, and cumin in blender until pureed. 
  5. Pour mixture in a bowl, mix kale in until fully coated
  6. Lay kale on 2-3 large baking sheets & generously sprinkle garlic salt
  7. Bake until crispy but do not burn! Keep an eye on it ( mine baked for about 2 hours and 15 minutes)
  8. Enjoy!  
Despite the odd smell from the blended mixture, the flavor once baked is pretty darn delicious. I really need to invest in a dehydrator ( the first batch I made got a little too crispy but still tasted great) and I think next time I may try  fresh garlic but all in all, these things are addictive! And soooo affordable! Feel free to make adjustments, I used the ingredients I had on hand (which is why mine were so different from the original recipe)
Keeley the kale monster:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! <3.